Hello Genki Friends! This week I would like to share with you a recipe that has a been coming for a long time. I have been wanting to make this recipe along with a video so I have held it captive so I could edit the video on post it along with the text version. Why a video too? We’re all busy, so I figure why not share the video along with the text version of the recipe for those of you busy and want to just the video in the background. I know you busy mom’s out there don’t have time to read my babble all of the time… Hopefully all of you enjoy these deliciously sweet, moist breakfast muffins.
Vegan Millet Muffin Recipe
Recipe inspired by: Alexandra’s Kitchen
2 1/3 c quick-cooking oats (gluten-free oats are okay too)
1 c flour (gluten-free flour is okay too)
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c white sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c + 2 tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/2 c oil (coconut oil works too)
2 tsp flax seeds, ground
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c millet
1/3 c boiling water (must be boiling to make millet soft)
1. Mix all the dry ingredients (minus the flax seeds) together in a large bowl.
2. Add the wet ingredients and sprinkle the flax seeds on top. Let the mixture set for about 2 minutes so the flax seeds can start to thicken up the milk (this creates the substitute for eggs).
3. Mix all together until just combined. Don’t over do it or the muffin mixture will be more stiff when complete.
4. Heat oven to 375F. Bake muffins in prepared muffin pan toothpick comes out clean. These took 25 in my gas fueled oven. Cool 5 minutes, or the muffins will fall apart. Turn muffins out onto rack; cool. (Or eat while blowing on your fingers – oops, I guess you already know I’m impatient…)
5. These can be served warm or cold. Additionally these can be frozen and warmed up again in the microwave or thawed in the fridge. Since there are no animal products these last for a very long time and there is no reason to fret about freezing. Enjoy!
Hopefully you will enjoy this recipe as much as I did. Genki Husband loved it for breakfast the next day. That speaks lots since you know about his sweet tooth in the morning and these are healthy muffins!