Okay, let me start off by stating this is not a low calorie, low fat recipe. This is a recipe that I would probably suggest only making once a year because each slice contains about 400 calories (see nutritional facts I did below). As you hear me state time and time again, Genki Husband has a major sweet tooth in the mornings. So, occasionally I will make a special sweet breakfast on the weekend that normally I would not make because of the nutritional facts. If you are brave, you can take a look below…
This Apple Fritter bread Recipe came from The Baking Chocolatess Website, which I then changed to our taste-buds and veganized. The bread turned out so chunky and delicious, just like a traditional American Apple Fritter, minus the step of deep-frying in oil. We did find there was not quite enough batter to fill the bread pan size mentioned in the original recipe so I would suggest if you want yours to look perfect, maybe double the batter ingredients. Other than that, everyone loved the recipe (even my father-in-law that ate a piece when we were away to go along with his ice cream). If you don’t mind the calorie count, I highly suggest this recipe. But, if you are watching your weight and trying to lose some, I probably would say you might want to skip this recipe just this once.
Serves 8Bread Loaf
1/3 c light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2/3 c white sugar
1/2 c oil
2 tsp flaxseeds, ground
1 tbsp almond milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 c milk
2 apples, diced, mixed with 2 tbsp white sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon
Old-Fashioned Creme Glaze
1/2 c powdered sugar
1-3 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
1. Heat oven to 350F. Use a 9×5 inch loaf pan and spray with oil.
2. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl, set aside.
3. In another medium bowl, mix together oil and sugar (beat if you have a mixer) until smooth and creamy.
4. Mix in flaxseed, 1 tbsp almond milk and vanilla extract.
5. Mix in the four and baking powder.
6. Add milk and stir until smooth.
7. Pour 1/2 the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add 1/2 the apples and 1/2 the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
8. Pour the remainig batter over the apple layer and top with the remaining apples and brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
9. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted comes out clean, around 50-60 mins.
10. To make glaze, mix all together.
11. Let cool for about 15 minutes before drizzling with glaze.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 14.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 125.6 mg
Total Carbs: 58.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
Protein: 2.8 g
Copyright © 2014 Genki Kitty – All Rights Reserved
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License.