Looks like a Buddha Bowl doesn’t it? It pretty much is but has a few differences – first of all there is no “hippie dust” (aka nutritional yeast). The original idea for this recipe came from a favorite Canadian vegan website of just about everyone Oh She Glows. The idea is pretty sound, basically toss in a bunch of vegetables and place on top of a bed of any type of grain. The original suggested quinoa but in our local area this grain can be very expensive (almost double the normal rate). So we went back to our steamed Japanese rice for a more reasonably priced dinner. Of course we made a few changes according to what we can find in our stores and what we had available.
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 (15oz) can no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 c cooked rice
- 2 c baby carrots, baked
- corn kernels (we used steamed corn since it’s what is available)
- 2 c raw kale per person
- 2 raw tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Colored Bell Pepper (we used two 1/2 orange and 1/2 yellow)
- a few tbsp of hummus per person
- 1 sliced avocado
Copyright © 2014 Genki Kitty – All Rights Reserved
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial No Derivatives 4.0 International License.