Pinterest was my inspiration for this recipe today. I love making pastries and would love to go to a specialty school (maybe in Japan?) to learn the proper skills. For now I’m trying and testing my skills at the mid-level from my days as a 4-H’er and grandmother’s instructions. Shall we adventure together? So today I made a vegan Swedish Braided Bread filled with apple pie filling (because I was a bit lazy and thankfully found a brand that was organic and didn’t have much added sugar.) The entire family-sized breakfast came together easier than I thought and it was in the oven within no time at all. The end product was gorgeous (or was it just a proud baker moment) and Genki Husband was deeply impressed with it on the table. I’d highly suggest making this hearty breakfast braided bread if you really like warm apple pie. (Note: Recipe setup into 3 parts, color coded.)1 (8oz) pkg non-dairy sour cream 4 tsp active dry yeast 1/2 c warm water (to the touch) 1/4 c applesauce, unsweetened 1/3 c sugar 2 tsp cinnamon, ground 2 tsp salt 1 tbsp flaxseeds, ground (or chiaseeds) 6 c non-enriched, non-bleached all-purpose flour 1 large can (32oz) apple pie filling*
1. Remove the non-dairy sour cream about an hour before baking to warm up to room temperature. If you are making this in the morning and aren’t a morning person just go ahead and warm it up for about 20-30 seconds in the microwave (we won’t tell).
2. Add the yeast into the warm water and let set for about five minutes to activate and start to bubble up. This will save you time in the long rise time.
3. Mix the dry ingredients, minus the ground cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture and other wet ingredients to make a dough. Slowly add the flour to assure you need all of it. (You might not!) This should be springy dough after a few minutes. Let rest in bowl.
4. Let the dough rise for about an hour, covered with a warm kitchen towel.
6. Cut slits down the side of the dough. Pull the strips over each other and ‘braid’.For Topping: Sliced Almonds or sprinkles Vegan Glaze – see below recipe
Vegan Glaze Ingredients:
2 c confectioners sugar
4 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used almond)
2 tsp almond extract (Or substitute the almond with vanilla but this is much better.)
1. Mix all the glaze ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl until smooth and creamy. Set aside until you need it.
*Note: We used apple pie filling since it was more traditional in my family but you can substitute this with any other pie filling or even mashed fruits. I believe this would even be delicious with freshly sliced fruit. Just go ahead and test the waters.