Lately I have been getting a lot of requests for more personal information since I generally have very few photos of myself and have in the past had a rule of not giving out too much information for security purposes. Given that my viewership has more than doubled in the last few months, I wanted to give something back to each and every one of you for your continued support and lovely comments. (I personally get a kick out of reading all of your messages and respond to each comment. Test me, I’ll respond back.)
My first idea was to make a large amount of healthy vegan cupcakes but then remembered I would have to pay for the shipment to each of you. Since I’m not a millionaire, I thought I might as well give in to my first rule of blogging and share a bit more about myself. I found this cute idea of doing a “bit more about myself” idea from the girls (Bre and Ree) over at ‘bump & Run‘, a fairly new website. You can get to know these bloggers a bit more too on their site.
1. What brings you the greatest joy? Days when I am feeling down I find my greatest joy from my closest family members (Genki Husband and Genki Furry babies). There is nothing better than coming home after a hard day at work to the furry babies and husband coming down the front entrance hallway with plenty of hugs and cuddles.
2. What are your vices? Watermelon!!! Those of you whom have been around since at least last summer will know, I absolutely love watermelon! I could eat it every meal and in the summer that’s what I basically do. Genki Husband has to yell at me to eat more for at least one meal each day in the summer. My non-food vice would definitely be Hello Kitty – I have been addicted since I was about three years old I think and have never turned back.
3. What is on your nightstand? There is a double photo frame on my nightstand that I have traveled with for about 11 years, basically since my first ever move to Japan. Since that time it has been on my nightstand each and every place I go. The photos are two old college day photos of my husband and me in Michigan. Then I have an Ecos Lip balm for dry winter nights and a Korean Pucca Plush that holds/charges my iPhone. On the bottom shelf, I have two catholic reading books for specialized devotionals. (We are Episcopalian of the Church of England (High Church) so the Catholic faith is very close and reading material is similar.)
4. Do you have a secret talent? Normally I am not very secret about things but I do have a special talent that I am sure I have never mentioned on here. Since around the age of ten years old I have played the trumpet, I taught myself and then later took private lessons. Back a few years I had been asked to play for a few professional touring groups but decided my university education was a bit more important than running around with bands. So I stuck with my university orchestra, marching and symphonic bands and became one of the first chair (aka lead) trumpet player in my freshman year. Is that good enough for a secret talent?
5. What is your greatest indulgence? Normally I am not one to purchase anything for myself since I love buying things for others. I indulge on gifts for friends and family, especially my two and only nieces. My greatest indulgence is anything to deal with Hello Kitty – yes I have an addiction. It has to be true HK though, not the American merchandise but the Asian kinds. (There’s a difference…)
6. What should every woman try at least once in her life? Traveling alone or moving to another country. There’s something that changes in a woman when she goes abroad and relies on her natural instincts to get around and not on anyone else. My life changed when I lived in Japan on my own.
7. What makes you laugh? I’m one of those people that have an optimistic attitude on a daily basis and can laugh at anything big or little. I’m usually humored by just about anything – yep, I’m one of those people. Something particularly funny to probably just about me is when furry cat runs around the house and I see her chubby buns going around the corner… cracks me up!
8. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you? Ever since a young girl, I have suffered from social anxiety. Why would I start a blog then? Well because I love a challenge. At least I can say I’m one of the few socially anxious bloggers out there– it fits right? Ha-ha.
9. What is on your bucket list? Visiting my families’ castle in Germany, traveling around the world with Genki Husband and living next to the ocean.
10. What is on your feet right now? Fluorescent green and grey Hello Kitty socks since I have an addiction as stated a million times already.
11. How did you make your first dollar? My first officially real job was a small airport and I was a do-it all kind of worker. It was small so I managed the front desk, gave coordinates/wind directions/wind gusts to incoming airplanes, fueled airplanes and even washed the airplanes. For a young person to want nothing more than to live abroad, this job was made just for me.
12. What superstition do you believe in? While it’s hard for me to pass up the thought of not walking under ladders or crossing the path of a black cat, I do not believe in superstitions. The closest thing that comes close to a superstition are crazy beliefs from my grandmother. Firstly everyone should cover their mouth while yawning since evil demons enter your mouth at this time. Additionally, I believe one should always wear clean underwear each day since one never knows when he/she is going to get into an accident and no one wants the emergency crew to see dirty ones. Does anyone else believe this too?
13. What items in your closet do you wear in most? Jeans and my long-sleeve running Addidas shirts…Where I come from this is considered ‘fancy’.
14. What is the best gift you’ve ever received? Genki Husband allowed me to adopt Genki Pup from a breeder in Illinois. We rescued Genki Cat from a rain drain but she is a gift from God.
15. What is on your liquor shelf? Our liquor cabinet is rather sad since we just have one hard liquor which is Italian ‘Disarrono’. Our wine cooler is much more full with wines from Australia and from all over the Eastern coast of America. We have a few certified, special wines from Italian and France for special occasions.
16. What is on your kitchen counter? Right now we are on a vacation before we move to our new house. Normally we have our toaster oven, Keurig, a collection of stainless steel containers for flours, a collection of flavored balsamic vinegars and olive oils, and finally our Japanese rice maker.
17. What would you never leave home without? My iPhone and keys. (I’m not a fancy person as you can tell.)
18. What movie has the greatest ending? Anything with a happy ending…
19. Who is on the guest list for your ideal dinner party? Actually I am a boring type of person and would just love my family and friends to all be at my dinner table. I love catering meals for family and friends but oddly enough my family has never been at our house for a meal.
20. What is one thing you wish you had known when you were younger? What you want is what you get in life so go for your dreams and do not allow anyone to change them even if you have to go your own path.
I’d love to tag all of you bloggers out there that have not done this wonderful questionnaire to share with your subscribers too. It’s such a wonderful idea and a great way to get to know other bloggers too. If you do this tag, I would love to read your answers so please send them on over to my email (in ‘about me’ section) or comment with a link below – thanks!