Does anyone know the dessert “puppy chow”? As a child we used to make this all the time (wonder why I was overweight as a child haha) but for some reason I haven’t made it since taking on the vegan lifestyle. Why, oh, why? It’s easy to veganize and takes literally about 5 minutes to make from start to finish. It’s strange though, in Michigan growing up we would call this puppy chow but online I could only find the term “muddy buddy”. What do you call this dessert?
This recipe can be found in just about any place and it’s always the same, vegan or not. Please note that this recipe is easier to prepare with a large plastic closeable bag. When we were young we used to use a brown paper bag from the grocery store and it worked just the same so use whatever you want as long as it closes.
1 (10-12oz) box of Rice Chex (we used organic brown rice chex)
1 cup vegan chocolate (bar or chips are okay)
1/2 cup organic peanut butter (we used chunky because it’s what we had in the house)
1/4 cup vegan butter (earth balance works!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups vegan powdered sugar
1. Place the cereal in a large bowl. You can also add some sprinkles to make it a bit more festive – I put in Christmas sprinkles which turned out so cute!
2. Melt the chocolate and peanut butter in a glass bowl or measuring cup in the microwave. It’s ready when you stir and the mixture goes all smooth and creamy.
3. Add the butter and extract to the melted mixture. Stir well.
4. Pour melted mixture over the cereal and stir until well coated.
5. Put the powdered sugar and cereal in a bag or other sealable container and shake like crazy. I like to put on some Christmas music and dance all around doing this step.
6. You can either keep everything in the same bag or place in another container to chill in the fridge. Some people put their mixture on trays in the freezer but this is really unnecessary since the powdered sugar keeps the cereal from sticking together.