Happy New Years! To bring in a happy 2012, the husband and I got into the kitchen and make a delightfully cheerful batch of homemade double chocolate candy cane waffles. Never heard of it? It’s because I was sitting around the other day looking at all the candy canes sitting in my cabinet and thought to myself, why not use them since they are basically sugar anyways. Then I was reminded of those scrumptious Trader Joes Candy Cane Oreos that only come out this time of the year and it instantly hit me, I was going to make some chocolate waffles with candy canes. Thankfully it was a success and the husband could not have been happier with my newly created recipe. (I had a vegetable melody for breakfast for my savory tooth.) I did manage to sneak a bite from the husband’s plate and boy was it amazing! It wasn’t overpowering with chocolate or candy cane, it was just 100% sweet goodness. Not only did the cocoa powder make the house smell like freshly baked cookies but the candy canes gave the waffles this uniquely crunchy texture that really pulls the whole texture/flavor combination together. So, if you are just waking up and want something special go for this amazing batch of waffles!
If you don’t have any candy canes in the house, go ahead and make this little treat: Oreo Waffles!
2 tsp dry active yeast
¼c lukewarm water
2c unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 ½ c all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
4 tbsp dark cocoa powder
¾ tsp salt
5 candy canes, pounded into little pieces
1 c vegan dark chocolate chips or 1 c chopped vegan dark chocolate
1. Combine the water and yeast together in a medium sized bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it gets all bubbly. If it doesn’t get bubbly you will have to do it again because it didn’t work out correctly.
2. Add all the rest of the liquid ingredients to the yeast mixture. Do not add the salt since it will kill the yeast and your waffles will not rise correctly (I’ve noticed some recipes suggest adding it at this time but this is not best.)
3. Add the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, excluding chocolate and candy cane.
4. Mix the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients.
5. Let the mixture set for about 1 hour to rise properly. The mixture will double in size and smell amazing! (Note: You can go ahead and make now too if you don’t have time to wait..)
6. Crumble the candy canes and chocolate (if using chocolate bar) and fold into the mixture.
7. Make your waffles in a waffle press according to the manufacturers instruction manual. Enjoy!