Our house is full of various types of in-season squash and pumpkins. We love all the variations and tastes that each one brings to our plate. The other night as I was trying to think of a way to put squash into a pasta recipe I got a light bulb. Why not take out the pasta and add spaghetti squash instead for a full healthy meal. It’s a nice variation to my Genki Kitty’s Vegan Chickenless Parmesan Recipe. Glad I came up with the idea because it was not only easy to complete but so fulfilling to the taste-buds and filling to the stomach. It worked out great and only took about 30 minutes from start to finish to completion. (Check out the note below to make it even faster!)
Serves 2 Hungry Pumpkin Eaters
1 small-medium spaghetti squash, cut in half and seeded
1 can plum tomatoes with juice
1-2 cups collard leaves, thinly cut into strips
3 garlic cloves
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp basil, chopped or dry
¼ c onion, diced
2 Chickenless Patties (we used Boca Spicy Chickenless Patties)
1. After you have prepped the squash halves, place on two pieces of aluminum foil. Pull the sides up on each one. Add about 2 tbsp of water to each squash. Continue to wrap the aluminum foil around each half so that the water doesn’t leak out. They will look like deflated soccer balls. Place on a hot grill, cut side down. These will take about 10-15 minutes, depending on your grill strength. Be careful when you flip them since a little steam might come out. Flip a few times to assure both sides are getting grilling and steamed.
2. Heat a frying pan on high heat. Spray with oil. Toss in the garlic, red pepper flakes and onions. Sauté until golden brown and smelling like an Italian restaurant.
3. Add the can of tomato (and juice), collard leaves and basil to the pan. Keep it on high heat and let the juice reduce to a nice thick sauce texture. It should take less than 5 minutes in total.
4. Place the chicken-less patties on the flame. Grill on each side about 2 minutes each.
5. Place the each spaghetti squash on a plate. Top with spaghetti sauce and one vegan patty. Or, you can place them apart from each other to make sure you like the taste first. (Admittedly that’s what we did, haha…)
We were delighted to find that the taste was amazing! It was a simple recipe but very satisfying and easy to put together. We will definitely be making this again on busy nights.