One of our favorite restaurants in the Cleveland, OH area is Melt Bar and Grill. You might recognize the name from Guy Fieri’s “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.”They have two vegan options available on their general menu, not to mention they even have vegan cheese available to dairy-free customers. My personal favorite is the Tomato and Garlic Soup that can be made vegan for anyone that requests it. My husband gets the Portobello Sandwich and their fabulous French fries.
The Tomato and Garlic Soup is absolutely delicious but totally easy to recreate at home. I have made various recreations, including one that was an exact replica. Today’s soup experiment was created from Red Peppers and Tomatoes that I had in the kitchen. It was a set up from the plain roasted tomato and garlic soup.
2 large red peppers, halved, seeded
1 onion, quartered
2 garlic bulbs, peeled
32oz Tomato Sauce (homemade or canned)
2-3 cups broth (vegetable or vegan chicken-less)
2 handfuls of fresh basil leaves
1. Heat oven to 400F.
2. Toss the prepared red peppers, onion, and garlic on a roasting pan. Sprinkle about 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
3. Roast in the oven for about 25-30 mins or until the red peppers are blackened on the skin.
4. Let all the vegetables cool so you can touch them.
5. Remove the skins from the red peppers.
6. Whirl the vegetables and 1 cup of broth in the food processor until smooth.
7. Add the tomato sauce to the mixture and give it a whirl until completely mixed.
8. Reheat on the stove. Serve with Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwiches or Vegan Quesadillas.