The other day I made a lovely bowl of cauliflower mashed potatoes and we had so many leftovers. That’s one of my main problems with cooking (besides the whole eating way too much of it), I always make way too much for just my small little family. Hence, I always have leftovers. So, it’s not really a surprise that I also had some leftover Swiss chard hanging around in the fridge. My mind instantly thought greens over mash as a main course. Ooh weee!! My mouth started to water just thinking about it. Seriously though, this is how I think when I’m standing in the kitchen thinking of something for dinner. I even do a little dance but I’ll spare a little pride for myself at this moment in time.
The meal turned out a nice blend of greens on the first bite and then a rich and creamy mash as a nice ending compliment. So on to the recipe since I know you will want to make it yourself too.
4 small to medium potatoes
½ head cauliflower
2-4 tbsp nutritional yeast (I like it with a slight cheesy taste for this meal)
2 tbsp nondairy milk (I used a rice blend)
1 bunch Swiss chard, around 3-4 cups, sliced
3 leaves collard leaves, sliced
½ onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
2 ears of corn on the cob (or 4 for a hungry crowd), cut in half, boiled
1. Dice the potato and cauliflower. Boil until a fork easily goes through without getting stuck.
2. Drain the vegetables and rinse well. Place in a medium sized bowl and mash until the consistency you prefer for your mash. Add the yeast and nondairy milk to make a creamy texture that makes mash more than just beaten potatoes. Add more or less to get the desired consistency.
3. Place 1 tbsp water in a frying pan with the Swiss chard, collard leaves, onion and garlic cloves. Sauté until the mixture is warmed through and slightly wilted. At the last moment add the cumin and soy sauce until well mixed.
4. Divide the mash among four plates. Top each with the Swiss chard mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
5. Add a piece of corn to each plate and you have a fulfilling meal for four. Enjoy!