Seeing that it’s burger season in North America, I am constantly looking for healthier vegan recipe ideas. My husband has the “grilling fever” so I might as well make the best of it and find healthy recipes. I came across this wonderful idea of using peas for a burger a few months ago. Since then I have make two batches and frozen the leftovers for future lazy days. These tasty green burgers are not only delicious fresh but taste just the same frozen and thawed.
Thanks to Petit Chef for the idea of using peas as a “paste” for burgers. True to form, I have changed the recipe but it still holds the basics. You can test out the original recipe on the Petit Chef website or you can test out my version from the original. Either way, it’s so much fun making green burgers!1 c peas (fresh or thawed) ½ tbsp ginger, ground into paste ½ tbsp garlic, ground into paste 1 jalapeno pepper, minced 1 tbsp cilantro ½ c flour (I used white the first time and whole wheat the second – both work) 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
1. Toss everything but flour and breadcrumbs into a food processor. Whirl around until it is a smooth paste – takes about 2 minutes or less.
2. Stir in the flour and breadcrumbs. (Note: You can leave the breadcrumbs out if you would like – works fine.)
3. Form 3-5 patties, depending on the size you prefer your patties.
4. Grill or toss in a pan on the stove. Since the peas work great as a paste, they don’t fall apart at all.
5. Top with whatever you like, there’s no strict rules.