True fact, I never liked peaches until I lived in Japan. Growing up in Michigan we always had peaches around the house in the fall season but I would always turn my nose up when offered. Overseas in Japan though, it is possibly one of the top five favorite fruits by the country people. Personally I think it’s popularity grew with the classic children’s story of Momotaro. If you’ve never had the chance to read this story, here is a free online copy you can read online.
Now that I have moved back to America, I love peach season and thankfully so does my husband. Okay, so maybe he’s not so enthusiastic by the end but it is an exciting time when it’s here. Funny enough through all the peach things I have made in the kitchen, I have never made peach pie. It’s something my mother would make every year for my father but never really stuck to me since I couldn’t stand the sight of peaches. Times have changed so now I’m making the peach pie in our household for my adoring husband. Here’s my first try at making a peach pie. It turned out really good but you have to make sure your peaches are full of flavor and not too watery. (Enter image of Sookie St. James on Gilmore Girls rolling peaches on the kitchen floor. haha) Not only the husband but our new non-vegan neighbors fell in love with the pie and wanted the recipe for them. It’s goes great alone or as my neighbor told me “with a scoop of ice cream on top”. Haha
Vegan Peach Pie Recipe (Pie Dough and Filling)
Pie Dough: (You can also make your own if you prefer… but urge to try this one – it’s super fast and easy!)
1 1/2c unbleached all-purpose flour, non-enriched
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 c canola oil
2 tbsp almond milk (You can also use Lemon Juice, Orange Juice or even water instead.)
½ tsp almond extract (optional but totally worth it!)
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Or, you can even place the ingredients in a food processor and give it a whirl until it turns tiny crumbs.
2. Knead the dough a little just to assure that everything is mixed in properly.
3. Press into the pie pan and form into a crust.
Note: You can prebake your crust if you would like for about 10 minutes at 425F but it isn’t necessary if you are lazy like me.
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, non-enriched
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
1. Toss the ingredients in a small bowl. Take a fork and stab it until it is a well mixed crumbly mixture. Set aside.
5-6c peaches, sliced (you can peel but I prefer the skin for extra nutrition)
Juice of 1 lemon (you can use 1 orange instead if you’d like)
1/3 c all-purpose flour
1 tbsp cornstarch (optional)
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
Zest of 1 lemon and/or orange (optional)
1. Place the peach slices into a large glass bowl (try to stay away from plastic so it doesn’t leech into your food).
2. Sprinkle the other ingredients over the top of the peaches and stir well. The sugar mixture should coat the peach slices evenly.
3. Pour into the prepared crust. Top evenly with the crumble mixture.
4. Place in a preheated 350F oven for around 30-40 minutes. The total time really depends on your oven. Mine is really picky so it took more like 40 minutes but it has issues so I would suggest going for 30 minutes first.
Note: If you notice the crumble getting a little too dark, go ahead and place some aluminum foil over the top of it to keep it from getting too dark. Also, you can make this into one or two pies – I made mine into two medium sized pies so I could give one to the neighbors and have one for our house.